Understanding Transfer Tax
Understanding Transfer Tax identifies the types of transactions that may be considered gifts and describes the conditions that cause gift taxation. This course describes the requirements that must be met for a disclaimer to qualify for exemption from federal gift tax. It explains the exclusions available to clients to minimize or avoid taxes. This course also explains the impact of the unified tax system and how to calculate the amount subject to the gift tax.
Audience: Trust officers with at least three years of personal trust experience who need a deeper understanding of technical trust concepts and how solutions work when applied to client needs.
Learning Objectives: After completing this course, students will be able
- Define what a gift is for tax purposes
- Describe the benefits of disclaimers and exclusions for your clients
- Explain your role in meeting client expectations
- Describe the methods and costs of transferring property
- Identify gift tax considerations